1989 Niue 5-dollar

Alles vom Asiatischen Kontinent bis nach Australien
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1989 Niue 5-dollar

Beitrag von villa66 » Do 18.02.16 05:58

A 1989 5-dollar piece struck for the Pacific island of Niue in copper-nickel, with this particular example being just over 38mm in diameter, with a weight of 38.36g. Niue is a self-governing state in free association with New Zealand, and sits about 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometers) to its northeast. Niue has seen decades of population decline, and by far the majority of Niueans (who enjoy dual Niue-NZ citizenship) actually live in New Zealand.

The decline in population is both cause and effect of the island’s tough economic environment, and tourism helps ends meet. As in a lot of countries, the sale of postage stamps is an important source of funds—and so, as indicated by this 1989 5-dollar MacArthur commemorative—is the sale of non-circulating coins. And what sort of dollar are coins like this one denominated in? Niuean, I believe, despite New Zealand’s dollar being the island’s circulating currency.

This particular piece, though, is among the most locally meaningful of Niue’s proliferation of commemorative coins. Douglas MacArthur was a five-star American general who during and after WWII played some considerable role in manufacturing the subsequent history of all the peoples in the Pacific—Niueans among them.

One thing strikes me, looking at the five-star insignia on MacArthur’s collars. The five-star rank was both new and rare when MacArthur was promoted in 1944, and there were no five-star insignia available to him far out in the Pacific. To solve the problem, or so I’ve read, MacArthur had his staff file down silver Philippine 10-centavo pieces to make his new stars.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_8218.JPG
100_8223.JPG

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag