A 20-pf and a "Haustrunk" token

1871-1945/48
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Re: A 20-pf and a "Haustrunk" token

Beitrag von villa66 » Di 08.09.15 06:16

Great story... A behavior not bound by borders--and instantly recognizable :D . And thanks for the link--I'm just beginning to explore. Found my book too, and hope to read some soon. Photographed part of the cover, attached below.

In the meantime, my Italian friends are coming back from holiday and the pace of the coin-a-year thread will return to double-time.

One note about the counterfeit problem you mentioned above, and how it afflicted folks in the days of a coin-based economy. You all have probably heard it too, but just in case: I have read that the marble shelf common on old-time cash registers is there so that folks could test the "ring" of a coin as an aid to counterfeit detection. (Made me a little more tolerant of rim dings. But just a little!)

;) v.
Dateianhänge
100_7508-001.JPG

Mynter
Danksagung erhalten: 1273 Mal

Beitrag von Mynter » Di 08.09.15 12:51

Great book , you have there. I imediatly liked the gothic florin or crown on the cover. Was ist possible to survive in expensive Norway at 50 cents ?

The marble shelf on old days cash desks is known i Germany aswell, called " Zahlplatte ". Those who feared the blunt sound would give away them and their fakes tried to shove the coins over the shelf, instead of letting them ring, wich in German has lead to an expression still in use today : " Schiebung " ( schieben = to shove ) in the meaning of " to deceive ".
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Fr 11.09.15 01:44

I have been looking to see if there is an English equivalent to "Schiebung" but haven't yet found anything so closely related. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if "to slide one by" could have found use as a result of old-time transactions. Well, that, or the baseball pitch.

Thanks for the extra angle..fun.

About the book. Sorry to say the journey was concentrated in southern locales. I've just scanned it so far, but it looks like: Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria, Turkey, Russia, Prussia, France, England (the cover coin must be a florin--would have been about 50 cents American at the time).

Think maybe I'll start a separate thread for the book--that is, what certain coins could have bought in Europe about 1885--and invite everyone to add...whatever.

I do have to say that already I can see the book will be real fun (I may have already used it a little, now that I think on it). The book is all about prices, of course, so there should be some real close associations to particular coins. In 1885 British bronze was relatively new, and as for silver, the Great Recoinage of 1816 was still in the driver's seat--as were the similar events in Italy (1860s) and Germany (1870s)...

(I know you guys know all this already--I'm just talking to myself and anyone who might be a little new at this.)

Anyway, the author's spelled this out mostly in terms of U.S. dollars and cents, but he's been exact enough that it's easy to convert to the currency he's transacting in.

One thing, though, already of interest. He's describing a bout of bargaining for a glass of lemonade in Italy and is going back and forth between U.S. and Italian currency terms--but actively uses soldo and soldi when he's talking about 5-centesimi and its multiples. It's fun to see that what I've read before--that Italy's 5-centesimi pieces were often called "soldi" years after they had displaced the old soldi--not as a second-hand historical observation, but as someone's contemporary experience.

My hope, as always, will be that folks will add other stuff. I think we'll all have some fun, maybe.

;) v.

Mynter

Beitrag von Mynter » Sa 12.09.15 14:09

villa66 hat geschrieben:

About the book. Sorry to say the journey was concentrated in southern locales. I've just scanned it so far, but it looks like: Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Bavaria, Turkey, Russia, Prussia, France, England (the cover coin must be a florin--would have been about 50 cents American at the time).

Think maybe I'll start a separate thread for the book--that is, what certain coins could have bought in Europe about 1885--and invite everyone to add...whatever.

That would be great indeed. I have a guide book on Norway for german tourists dating from those days, and another one called " The little American " wich provided advice for norwegians who wanted to emigrate. Just the thought that users of the emigrants guidebook and your touristbook on Europe could have crossed over on the same steamer, the first facing an uncertain future ,the latter full of impressions after having visited the sights of the old world, is thrilling itself. Should we perhaps start that thread in the section for foreign coins ? Some prussian groschen along with soldi and sous wont hurt.
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » So 13.09.15 04:34

Apparently I've fallen in with the right people... ;)

Mynter, would it be asking too much if I asked you to open the thread? And to please place it where you think it fits best?

My poor German makes me a much better tourist than guide, and if the thread was mostly in the language of the Forum, it would be much easier for folks to find time enough to contribute. If I have a question understanding--which I doubtless will--I can always ask for help.

If it's unhandy for you, though, I'll gladly open it myself.

This is something I'm going to enjoy.

:D v.

Mynter

Beitrag von Mynter » So 13.09.15 16:28

villa66 hat geschrieben:Apparently I've fallen in with the right people... ;)

Mynter, would it be asking too much if I asked you to open the thread? And to please place it where you think it fits best?

My poor German makes me a much better tourist than guide, and if the thread was mostly in the language of the Forum, it would be much easier for folks to find time enough to contribute. If I have a question understanding--which I doubtless will--I can always ask for help.

If it's unhandy for you, though, I'll gladly open it myself.

This is something I'm going to enjoy.

:D v.
Not at all. I have called it " What would your coin have bought you ? ":
http://www.numismatikforum.de/posting.p ... 1&p=452630
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 14.09.15 08:50

Danke! Schlafenzeit...

;) v.

Antworten