Imperator/Berengaria, 1910-1946.

Alle Münzen vom Amerikanischen Kontinent
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Re: Imperator/Berengaria, 1910-1946.

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 02.10.17 07:21

Something I was asking myself while I was writing—but never answered—

What happened to the brass propellers; when were they removed? Was their recycled metal put to some identifiable purpose? I guess maybe it’s also possible the screws were themselves reused for new construction, or?

(I was hoping I’d find a casual mention of them having been turned into brass threepences! Alas…)

---------------------------------------------

On the subject of the Imperator medal, anyone know if they could be bought by the public at the time, and if yes, how much one cost?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Again, Mynter, I appreciate the historical heads-up; 1913 was indeed a special year in Germany, and as you say, what a year to see a ship named Imperator begin sailing the seas. And with an enormous imperial eagle at her bow and proud national ensign at her stern—with the Vaterland and Bismarck soon to follow, of course.

I take special note of your comment about 1913 and the public’s continuing appetite for maritime triumph. I think that’s absolutely right, and not just in Germany.

It’s common, here in the U.S., to hear that Titanic spelled the end of a way of thinking, that its loss meant the end of Faith, and the rise of Disillusion. But I haven’t much liked that idea, not for a long time now. 1912 and Titanic? Nah, 1914-18 was too close in time, and too, too big. Besides, in the aftermath of Titanic, enough mistakes were identified—and villains found, or created—that everyone else could continue to feel pretty good about the themselves. (Until about 1916, anyway.)

One little coin question, about the “Military Bust” coinage. After the Jubilee year, was the “Military Bust” the new regular-issue portrait (which presumably would have continued absent WWI and the end of big silver)? Any ideas about why the change? Wilhelm’s pre-1913 portrait seems very effective. But maybe it was felt it needed to be aged some, like Victoria’s coinage. (Seems I remember a progressively receding hairline on some German state coinage).

It’s getting late and it’s time to close. Any or all of these questions can safely be ignored…I don’t want to scare away anyone for fear that a post will just lead to more questions.

;) v.

Mynter
Danksagung erhalten: 1273 Mal

Beitrag von Mynter » Mo 02.10.17 21:40

Hello villa,
in 2013 in another coinforum I posted som thoughts about the " Military Bust ".
I just post them here now in the " german section " : http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic ... 18&t=57356
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 09.10.17 08:07

Mynter hat geschrieben:Hello villa,
in 2013 in another coinforum I posted som thoughts about the " Military Bust ".
I just post them here now in the " german section " : http://www.numismatikforum.de/viewtopic ... 18&t=57356

As you’ve seen, I found and read with interest your “Military Bust” post in the Deutsches Reich section, and definitely recommend it….thanks, Mynter.

:wink: v.

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 09.10.17 08:12

I’ve been adapting some of the material I posted in this thread for entries into my coin-notebook. I won’t bore you guys with it, but for fun will mention just one, the 1919 Lincoln cent, which I used because it was easy to find and photograph.

Any stuff that I want to keep for my notebook from the 1919 Lincoln cent section of this thread I’ll attach to a San Francisco-mint 1919s Lincoln.

Because the Philly-mint 1919 is already the subject of a notebook entry….

x: Got this 1919 Lincoln cent in Linköping, Sweden, for a Swedish krona. Pronounce the “k” of the town’s name as “shh,” I had learned on the night ferry train out of Puttgarden. Next morning, very early, I got up and stood in the corridor as we rolled through the Danish countryside. The colors were all the palest pastels—greens and greys, some blues. A mist hovered over the fields, interwoven with the trees, so still and quiet that the birds left tracks in it as they flew. But in the middle of all this was also, somehow, a fire bright sun all huge and yellow gold. Seemed to me like a French Impressionist had suddenly gotten loose inside a Japanese watercolor. (85)

v.
Dateianhänge
100_8982.JPG
100_8987.JPG

Mynter
Danksagung erhalten: 1273 Mal

Beitrag von Mynter » Mo 09.10.17 21:27

villa66 hat geschrieben: . Next morning, very early, I got up and stood in the corridor as we rolled through the Danish countryside. The colors were all the palest pastels—greens and greys, some blues. A mist hovered over the fields, interwoven with the trees, so still and quiet that the birds left tracks in it as they flew. But in the middle of all this was also, somehow, a fire bright sun all huge and yellow gold. Seemed to me like a French Impressionist had suddenly gotten loose inside a Japanese watercolor. (85)

v.
Icelanders, so I have heard, often think of Denmark as a large, never - ending garden.
Grüsse, Mynter

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag