coinproject.com

Alles was so unter den Römern geprägt wurde.

Moderator: Homer J. Simpson

klausklage
Danksagung erhalten: 484 Mal

Re: coinproject.com

Beitrag von klausklage » Sa 08.01.11 16:37

cepasaccus hat geschrieben:Wahnsinn wieviel Muenzen versteigert werden.

... und wie wenige ich davon abkriege. :(
Olaf
squid pro quo

cepasaccus
Danksagung erhalten: 64 Mal

Beitrag von cepasaccus » Sa 08.01.11 17:37

Sei froh Olaf. Was meisst Du, was Beba-Kaesten fuer 200000 Muenzen kosten!
kitty mea felis duodeviginti annos nata requiescat in pace. laeta gaudiumque meum erat. desiderio eius angor.

CoinProject
Danksagung erhalten: 0

Beitrag von CoinProject » Mo 17.01.11 06:11

Hi, this is Alfred, the founder of CoinProject.

I wanted to clarify a few points:

1. I do not view CoinProject as competition to ACSearch, Wildwinds or any of the other databases. Our focus is a little different and our approach is unique. We are not attempting to maintain auction or sales data, our focus is to maintain a database of coins which is accurate for numismatic research and study.

2. We currently have permission to use photographs from about 30-40 firms. These include some European firms which have never published their photographs on the internet. It is quite expensive to have the programmers write the software to grab the data and properly parse it for each of these firms. If we had the resources we would be able to grab well over the estimated 300,000 records which I list as "pending". I list as pending only those records which I have available or which the programmers are currently developing software to grab and parse.

3. We parse (break out) all of the data and include full legends. This is very time consuming but ensures that the data can be presented/manipulated to meet our needs and enhances the search engine functionality.

4. It is incredibly labor intensive. We have a multiple step verification process. The first is a quick check by a moderator that everything appears OK, that the data is presented in a uniform manner which conforms to our database and that any obvious errors are addressed. The second requires a specialized collector which has the experience and appropriate library to compare the information present on the coin versus the photograph AND physically verify the reference citations. So if a reference is cited as RIC V 123 they must open RIC volume V and verify that the coin is in fact RIC V 123.

5. We have a board of advisors comprised of world renowned numismatists, collectors and dealers from around the world. I will be publishing the list shortly, I am just waiting for the biographies of all of the board members and I am waiting on one additional prospective member. It is my hope that we will legally register as a not-for-profit organization and that all decisions be made by this board.

6. We welcome as many examples of the same coin type as possible. This allows users to study dies or do other types of research. Once the database is better populated moderators can select one example of each type as the "Primary Example" and that one example would represent the type (i.e.: RIC V 123 can have 1000 coins but only the best example would show up unless the user clicks "See other examples")

7. We currently have over 110 volunteers and have enough work pending for well over 10,000!

If you want to see the potential, have a look at what the Spaniards have done with the Ancient Spain category. It is one of the most complete collections of coins of Ancient Spain and is believed to be the first website which properly categorizes them by mint outside of Spain. We will be adding biographical, chronological and numismatic data at the heading of each area. (This can be done for ANY region, city, mint or issuer on CoinProject) Also look at what we are doing with the Roman Republican category.

I not only look forward to, but I ask for constructive critism and feedback. CoinProject belongs to the numismatic community, we are only the temporary caretakers. It requires the community to grow and improve. If you have a suggestion or if you would like to volunteer please send me an email.

Best Regards,

Alfredo De La Fé
CoinProject.com
Founder and Executive Director

justus
Danksagung erhalten: 519 Mal

Beitrag von justus » Mo 17.01.11 18:35

Mann, oh Mann. Wirklich beeindruckendes Vorhaben !
mit freundlichem Gruß

IVSTVS
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.muenzfreunde-trier.de/
http://www.muenz-board.com/
Veröffentlichungen

Antworten