1915 France 2-francs

Europa (ohne Euros) und Afrika - ab etwa 1500.
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1915 France 2-francs

Beitrag von villa66 » Fr 08.05.15 03:37

The French 2-franc of 1915, 27mm in diameter and struck in 10.00g of .835 silver. The LMU’s largest “token” coin at the Union’s inception in 1865 (along with its other 2-unit counterparts), but of course the Latin Monetary Union was effectively out-of-business with the outbreak of war the year before this 1915 2-franc was coined.

Coined in Paris. Which means maybe more than usual, because the city had narrowly avoided complete disaster the previous autumn. So this 1915 2-franc belongs to a moment when Paris—France—was catching its breath, perhaps thinking there was reason for some optimism. Of course we know now that such optimism would have been premature. The wartime descent had only just begun.

Coin-rings…these 2-franc pieces were perfect for making a man’s ring. Tap-tap-tap for hours upon hours, then cut and smooth. Some of these French silver “Sowers” went home to the U.S. as wedding bands. But that was years away. And you had to be lucky. Before that trip home there were seemingly endless bored and lonely hours to endure, surrounded by dark dirt walls and by other bored and lonely men.

Which got me to thinking about coins as “pin-ups.” The American Standing Liberty quarter—the bare-breasted type one of 1916-17 especially—now there was a coin a soldier could steal a private minute with.

But two seconds later I was thinking about the French “Sower” of 1898-1920, particularly these large 2-franc pieces. And then intruded the more carnal Italian 20-centesimi of 1908-35 (well, ’22 actually)—but this French 2-franc then just as quickly reasserted itself.

The Italian 10-centesimi of 1911? No, I think; it’s this French 2-franc piece—with its elegant and athletic Marianne, simply-clothed and thoroughly female—that wins the title for best “pin-up” coin of WWI’s Western Front.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_7006.JPG
100_7008.JPG

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag