1911 Newfoundland 50-cents

Alle Münzen vom Amerikanischen Kontinent
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1911 Newfoundland 50-cents

Beitrag von villa66 » So 26.04.15 06:53

Newfoundland’s 1911 50-cent piece, struck in .925 silver nearly four decades before Newfoundland became a province of Canada (1949). The interplay between this 1911 Newfoundland 50-cent piece and its Canadian counterpart is a subtle one, full of interesting points of both agreement and disagreement.

Looking at this 1911 Newfoundland 50-cent piece, collectors acquainted with Canadian coins will probably notice first the presence of “DEI GRA[TIA],” whose absence on the Canadian coins of 1911 caused such controversy. The “Godless” Canadian coins were corrected in 1912, but of course no such correction was needed in Newfoundland.

(Canada’s 1911 “Godless” coinage has been blamed on a pair of mistakes, one in the UK omitting the motto, with the other mistake occurring in Canada when the new designs were approved. Haste and inattention are said to have been the culprits—which is a more mundane reality than perhaps the possibility that a changing view of monarchs had moved past the “By the Grace of God” formulation, and that the omission had been intentional. But no. The public outrage argues otherwise.)

Two other admittedly small differences could cause the 1911 “Newfie” 50-cent to be considered a type separate from the coins of 1917-19, again with Canadian contrasts. This coin is still the old diameter, 29.85mm, which would change to 29.72mm in 1917, but had already changed in Canada with some of the 1910 coins. Its weight, too, was still the old 11.78g, which again would change in 1917 to 11.66g, but which in Canada had already been done in 1910.

Finally, a note about the washed-out appearance of this 1911 50-cent piece. It’s something I don’t think I would have bought as a single; cleaned coins are the devil’s work (Godless!)—but the coin came buried in another collection, hidden in one of the black binders I purchased. So okay…and maybe in thirty or forty years it’ll be a nice grey again. I’m afraid, though, that I won’t be here to see it.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_6896.JPG
100_6900.JPG

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag