Bracteat our denier from germany or East France?

Alles was von Europäern so geprägt wurde
Antworten
Rockin
Danksagung erhalten: 0

Bracteat our denier from germany or East France?

Beitrag von Rockin » Mo 15.08.11 15:13

Hi !

I have found this coin (in a poor quality) in the North-East of France in Lotthringen, a few kilometers away from the German border.
Nobody on french numismatic boards have managed to identify the coin (town, diocese, date, ...).

Weight : 0.67 g
Diameter : 14 mm
Color : white silver (not gold like on the photos)

[ externes Bild ]

[ externes Bild ]

Thanks in advance guys !

leodux
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Re: Bracteat our denier from germany or East France?

Beitrag von leodux » Di 16.08.11 00:47

Hi,

it certainly is not a bracteate because also the reverse show traces of a striking.
If you turn the reverse photo about 180 degrees, you can see a building (?) and a part of the inscription "...RIV...".

The depiction of the bishop, for example the hanging lappets of the mitre, reminds me of those on pfennigs or oboles from Cologne and other mints related to Cologne althoug the edge of the coin doesn't look like Cologne.
I am sorry, I am not able to ID the coin but maybe someone else can ID it.

Cheers,
Peter

Translation for the German readers:
Es ist sicher kein Brakteat, denn man sieht Spuren der Prägung auf der Rückseite.
Wenn man das Foto der Rückseite um 180 Grad dreht, sieht man ein Gebäude (?) und einen Teil der Umschrift "...RIV...".

Die Darstellung des Bischofs, z.B. die herabhängenden Infulbänder, erinnert mich an diejenige auf Pfennigen und Obolen aus Köln und anderen Münzstätten, die sich an Köln orientierten, aber der Rand der Münze sieht nicht nach Köln aus.
Leider kann ich die Münze nicht bestimmen, aber vielleicht kennt ja jemand anderes die Münze.

Rockin
Danksagung erhalten: 0

Beitrag von Rockin » Di 16.08.11 18:31

Thanks Leodux !

Don't you think it can be a coin frome Trèves (Trier)?
I found this site where very similar coins are depicted : http://www.saivenumismatique.com/period ... tegorie=93

leodux
Danksagung erhalten: 1 Mal

Beitrag von leodux » Di 16.08.11 19:14

Hi,

yes, the the shape of the coin's edge makes me also think of the area around Trier or maybe Lorraine. But I was not able to find any match for this coin.
Most of those deniers from that area have a bust to left or right and the few ones with a frontal bust, that I could find, don't match.
But I don't have any special literature about the coins of Trier, so I cannot exclude Trier although I didn't find a match.

Regards,
Peter

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag