French 1886 2-centimes

Europa (ohne Euros) und Afrika - ab etwa 1500.
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

French 1886 2-centimes

Beitrag von villa66 » Di 10.03.15 07:47

France’s 1886 2-centime, a low-denomination just valuable enough to still circulate, as the mild wear on this example indicates.

France…often styled by Americans as “Our oldest friend,” yet also occasionally known as “Our oldest enemy.” The relationship between the two countries has been marked by some stratospheric highs—and some abysmal lows—but a very definite “up” year was 1886, when this 2-centime was coined in Paris.

This coin could well have been available to purchase a French newspaper in late October or early November of 1886, announcing to the folks back home that their great gift to the United States of America, the giant copper statue known as “Liberty Enlightening the World” (now usually called the “Statue of Liberty”), had finally been dedicated in the harbor of New York City.

It’s fun to imagine that—but for the small accidents of history—the metal used to make this little French coin might have ended up instead being used in Bartholdi’s statue.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_6535.JPG
100_6536.JPG

Chippi
Danksagung erhalten: 1992 Mal

Re: French 1886 2-centimes

Beitrag von Chippi » Fr 13.03.15 10:08

Fun stuff! :wink: I looked in my collection and see I haven´t this type. Only an older and younger type and they are the only ones of 2 Centimes pieces I own. A little bit more pieces of 1 Centime lie in my collection, but not very many.

Best regards, Chippi
Dateianhänge
2 Centimes 1855 B Rouen.jpg
2 Centimes 1911 Paris.jpg
1 Centime 1862 A Paris.jpg
1 Centime 1895 A Paris.jpg
1 Centime 1916 Paris.jpg
Wurzel hat geschrieben:@ Chippi: Wirklich gute Arbeit! Hiermit wirst du zum Byzantiner ehrenhalber ernannt! ;-)
Münz-Goofy hat geschrieben: Hallo Chippi, wenn du... kannst, wirst Du zusätzlich zum "Ottomanen ehrenhalber" ernannt.

villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Re: French 1886 2-centimes

Beitrag von villa66 » So 15.03.15 23:24

Thanks, Chippi, for the look at more of these little coppers. They’re more difficult to find here in the U.S. than their 5- and 10-centime siblings, but that may be true in Europe too—from looking at them, they just don’t seem to have gotten around the way their larger brothers and sisters did. (And their smaller production numbers doubtless figures in as well.)

I’ve always liked the French 1898 types, but it’s too bad the 1- and 2-centime coins present too small a canvas for the allegorical reverse of the 5- and 10-centime.

One more bit of fun. Looking at your coins I was struck by the 1862a 1-centime. Since I’d written about the Franco-American “up” year of 1886, your 1862a immediately hit me as being a Franco-American “down” year. I found myself really wishing it was my own coin so I could include balancing entry into my coin-notebook.

Anyway, I looked at my list—and it turns out I have an 1862a 2-centime. So thanks, Chippi, for the new connection. I go to write!

:) v.

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag