1928 Colombian Leprosarium 50-centavo

Alle Münzen vom Amerikanischen Kontinent
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1928 Colombian Leprosarium 50-centavo

Beitrag von villa66 » Di 09.06.15 05:04

Colombia’s 1928 Leprosarium 50-centavo struck in brass, 30mm in diameter and weighing 9.80g. The mint at Bogotá coined 50,000 of these pieces for use in Colombia’s government-run leper colonies: Agua del Dios, Cano de Lord, and Contratacion.

Special coinages for persons suffering from leprosy (now often called “Hansen’s Disease”)—either purpose-struck or segregated regular issue—are a part of the numismatic history of several countries around the world. Americans are probably most familiar with the Philippine coinage for the Culion Leper Colony, but it’s the Colombian series of 1901 that is said to be the oldest such purpose-struck coinage. The 1901 series was brass, succeeded by copper-nickel for the inflationary series of 1907 and the new series of 1921, and then finally, brass again for this stand-alone 1928 50-centavo.

“Lazareto.” I assume the Spanish word is the equivalent of the English word “Lazaretto,” which Webster’s New World Dictionary defines as “a public hospital for poor people having contagious diseases,”and says came into the language from the Italian—“Venetian lazareto, nazareto, after “Venetian church Santa Madonna de Nazaret, used as a plague hospital in the 15th century.”

The special coinages were created, of course, to help contain the spread of the disease by further limiting opportunities for contagion, but also, in part, by creating an additional obstacle to would-be escapees.

Later it was learned that leprosy was much less contagious than originally thought, and leper colonies began to disappear. Their coinages went with them. Krause 2015, on Colombia’s experience: “The hospitals were closed in the late 1950s and patients were allowed to exchange these special coins for regular currency at any bank.”

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_7184.JPG
100_7187.JPG

klaupo
Danksagung erhalten: 282 Mal

Re: 1928 Colombian Leprosarium 50-centavo

Beitrag von klaupo » Di 09.06.15 09:21

villa66 hat geschrieben: ... Americans are probably most familiar with the Philippine coinage for the Culion Leper Colony ...
Just in order to illustrate this coinage by a sample I can add a countermarked Culion Leper Colony Peso. I haven't been able so far, however, to attribute this countermark.

Regards klaupo
Dateianhänge
1922_Philipines_Lepra_Peso_Cm_n.jpg

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Di 09.06.15 14:25

Nice coin. The countermark is actually a mintmark: "PM," for Philippine Mint. That, anyway, is what I read. By the time the new portrait type of 1925 appeared, the mintmark was rendered in struck relief and had been changed to a much more conventional form. (Although still not, as elsewhere in Philippine coinage, Manila's simple "M.")

The incuse mintmark of '22 seems very strange to me in the context of this coin and its times. Since leprosy was thought to be so easily contagious that special coinages made sense, why would they allow extra crevices (places for germs to collect) on coins intended for use by lepers?

The American 2.5-dollar and 5-dollar gold coins then current were commonly criticized, because of their incuse features, for just that perceived shortcoming--they were "unsanitary." Oh well.

Thanks for the addition, klaupo.

:D v.

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Di 09.06.15 14:39

You know, klaupo--looking at your excellent close-up photo--what this really looks like is not the "PM" that I've read about, but more like the monogram "PhM." I think--from now on--that "PhM" for "Philippine Mint" is how I'll choose to understand these.

And of course Manila was only opened as a mint in about 1920, and I know for a time in the beginning they were striking coins without any mintmark at all. They may have countermarked these because the mintmark was something of an afterthought.

Thanks for the photo! "PhM." Changed my understanding of the 1922 Culion 1-peso.

:) v.

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag