1881 Portuguese India 1-rupia

Alles vom Asiatischen Kontinent bis nach Australien
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1881 Portuguese India 1-rupia

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 23.02.15 00:44

An 1881 1-rupia of Portuguese India struck in 11.66 grams of .917 silver, first of the new type, and the high-value in a new 6-member series introduced for Portuguese India, all dated 1881.

The weight and silver are identical to that of a contemporary 1-rupee of British India, which of course is no accident. The British and the Portuguese—pursuant to an earlier Treaty—had agreed on what was essentially a monetary union between their colonies in India. The document, which took effect on 1 November 1880, mandated a silver and copper coinage for Portuguese India that would conform to that of British India in weight, metal, and equivalent value. These new silver and copper coins of Portuguese India would be legal tender throughout British India on the same terms as the coins of British India, and vice-versa, of course.

This Portuguese 1-rupia was divided into 16 tangas (as the British rupee was divided into 16 annas), and the recoinage—of which this 1881 1-rupia was a part—was accomplished by the British, on behalf of the Portuguese.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_6385.JPG
100_6387.JPG

KarlAntonMartini
Danksagung erhalten: 952 Mal

Re: 1881 Portuguese India 1-rupia

Beitrag von KarlAntonMartini » Mo 23.02.15 13:22

I didn't know about the british-portuguese money union. Thanks for showing! Best regards, KarlAntonMartini
Tokens forever!

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mi 11.03.15 16:20

You're welcome to PM me, or just go ahead and ask your question(s) here. I'll do my best to answer, and I'm very sure there are others here who know much more than I do.

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Do 12.03.15 16:26

villa66 hat geschrieben:You're welcome to PM me, or just go ahead and ask your question(s) here. I'll do my best to answer, and I'm very sure there are others here who know much more than I do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There had been a post stating an intent to inquire about the content of the thread, but I see it has disappeared since yesterday. I have no idea what the question was, but here is something--Googled more or less at random—to further any deeper inquiry into this subject. It’s a place to begin, anyway.

-----------

General Rules and Orders Made Under Enactments in Force in British India, Volume I, Parts 1-2
India, G.R.Ridge Office of the superintendent, government printing 1907 (p.587)

“THE PORTUGUESE CONVENTION ACT, 1881 (XVII of 1881).”

“Coins coined under the Portuguese Convention”

“No. 791, dated the 25th May, 1881.—His Excellency the Governor General in Council is pleased to republish for general information the following extract article six of a Convention, dated 12th April, 1880, between their Excellencies the Governors General of British India and Portuguese India, which has acquired the force of law within British India by Act XVII of 1881:--“

“All silver and copper Portuguese coins coined under the provisions of this Convention shall, while this Convention remains in force, be legal tender in payment or on account throughout British India to the same extent, and subject to the same exceptions in the case of coin which has been called in, or is under weight, or has been clipped, filed or defaced, as in the case of the corresponding silver and copper coins issued by the authority of the Government of British India for the time being in British India.”

“All silver and copper coin which has been issued by the authority of the Government of British India shall, to the same extent and subject to the same exceptions, be a legal tender in payment or on account throughout Portuguese India.”

“All Treasury and other Officers of Government are directed to treat the new Portuguese coins as legal tender accordingly.”

“[See Gazette of India, 1881, Pt. I, p 214]”

------------------------------------------

I think it’s really interesting stuff. I had no idea about this either, until I began looking into this 1881 rupia.

KarlAntonMartini
Danksagung erhalten: 952 Mal

Beitrag von KarlAntonMartini » Do 12.03.15 17:40

Thank you, so I will have to extend my collection to these portuguese coins... Best regards, KarlAntonMartini
Tokens forever!

Antworten