1946-57 1-schilling: design error?

Ab 1500 (ohne Euro)
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1946-57 1-schilling: design error?

Beitrag von villa66 » Sa 17.08.19 05:36

Could I please test this notebook entry for accuracy? And invite any additional information?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

x: Austria’s first post-WWII 1-schilling design departs the scene with the issue of these 1957-dated pieces (they were withdrawn 2 May 1961 and demonetized 31 December 1961). It was a long run considering the following words from Austrian native Erik von Kuehnelt-Leddihn in his book The Intelligent American’s Guide to Europe: “The 1-Schilling coin...showed, due to an error, the figure of the devil (instead of the sower) from a painting by Egger-Lienz.” That seemed hard to believe, so [my wife] and I searched the Internet and found the Albin Egger-Lienz painting from 1921 entitled Sämann und Teufel. Sure enough, it is the devil and not the sower who made it onto the 1-schilling in ‘46. Amazing. How could that happen? And how could it go on nearly a dozen years? (93)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any corrections, comments or answers are most welcome.

:) v.

Mynter
Danksagung erhalten: 1273 Mal

Re: 1946-57 1-schilling: design error?

Beitrag von Mynter » Sa 17.08.19 21:25

Wow, how could such an error happen. Great stuff ! Untill today I allways considered the austrian aluminiumcoins to be boring. Something I now have to reconcider.
A link to the painting : https://www.wikiart.org/en/albin-egger- ... ssung-1921
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Re: 1946-57 1-schilling: design error?

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 19.08.19 11:32

Thanks for the link. Having the painting close at hand helps a lot.

I put this on the Austrian forum, thinking the Austrian coin hobby must have worked this out long ago. It’s generated a little additional reading, but no canned answers--not so far, anyway. One response names the coin’s designer as Michael Powolny and suggests that his strong reputation makes an actual mistake more or less unthinkable. Another response questions whether artistic license might have been behind the switch.

A “Tyrolean article" is mentioned, but I couldn’t get to it. (I note its perspective is gently questioned, so perhaps it’s guesswork too?)

So maybe a little art history would help. (Anybody got any? :D ) ) The painting’s date of 1921 gives a layman like me a possible clue to the painting’s meaning. But was the painting widely enough known that whatever the painting’s meaning, that a coin design derived from it would resonate with the Austrian people?

Or was it just an official who remembered “a painting of a sower” from his undergrad days and was acting on the same imperative that gave Italy its 1946 2-lire, or Germany its 1949 50-pfennig?

Fun….

:D v.

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag