1940 British halfpenny

Europa (ohne Euros) und Afrika - ab etwa 1500.
Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

1940 British halfpenny

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 03.08.15 01:30

A 1940 British halfpenny struck in bronze, 25mm in diameter and weighing 5.7g. (I note the bronze used is of the pre-war composition, coined as it was before the Japanese invasion of Malaya had put a crimp in Britain’s tin supplies.)

This reverse design, originally prepared for the coinage of Edward VIII, was introduced instead as a part of George VI’s coinage of 1937. It was a major break with tradition—Britannia had appeared on the denomination since 1672. But the Golden Hind (or Golden Hinde) of Sir Francis Drake was a solid choice. After all, the 350th anniversary of the 1588 Armada was at hand when this halfpenny design appeared in circulation, and it had been the Spanish silver captured by the Golden Hind that—some years after the ship’s return to Britain in 1580—had eventually helped cause war with the Spain of Phillip II.

But the Golden Hind, and Drake, and the Armada and Spain, and Phillip II—all of this was wonderfully double-edged in the Great Britain of the late-thirties, and certainly few Britons of those days could have failed to recognize it.

Much like the contemporary British film, the prescient 1937 Fire Over England, there could be little doubt that here, in these George VI halfpennies, was ancient history come to life. (As when that movie’s Queen Elizabeth is talking to her soldiers—clearly she is also talking directly to the Britons of the late-1930s.)

By the time this 1940 halfpenny was coined, however, historical allusion had been replaced by a hard and difficult present. By Autumn 1940 Britain was alone, and never Greater.

In the London of 1940 bombs and fire were everyday facts of life. At first, taking shelter in the city’s subways during the Blitz was officially discouraged. But then it was noted that all one had to do was to buy a 1½d “underground” ticket and refuse to leave. (Three of these 1940 halfpennies would have done the trick.)

The Government did a quick about face and used the “tubes” for the built in bomb shelters they were. And maybe the historical allusions alive in this halfpenny were still useful in 1940. I can almost imagine a parent or a grandparent pulling a Golden Hind Halfpenny out of a purse or a pocket, and trying to distract some scared youngster with stories of Great Britain’s past heroics.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_7341.JPG
100_7346.JPG

KarlAntonMartini
Danksagung erhalten: 934 Mal

Re: 1940 British halfpenny

Beitrag von KarlAntonMartini » Mo 03.08.15 17:33

Thank you for telling this story and showing the coin. The design of the Golden-Hind reverse was made by Thomas Humphrey Paget for the 1937 Halfpenny of Edward VIII. In 1940 about 32 million pieces were struck, but as they were neglected by many collectors and "served" until 1971 in circulation good examples are rare. About the designer some additional information: http://www.royalmintmuseum.org.uk/histo ... index.html
Best regards, KarlAntonMartini
Tokens forever!

Mynter
Danksagung erhalten: 1284 Mal

Beitrag von Mynter » Mo 03.08.15 21:45

Thank you for another interesting essay on coins. While reading it I had to think of another ,somehow revolutenary design first developed for the never- to- be coinage of Mrs Simpsons husband, the nickel- brass threepence wich we had discussed earlier this year in connection with the norwegian war coinage. According to a book called " The proposed coinage of King Edward VII ", that particular coin gained imediate popularity in London because it was so handy for payments on the public transport.

But back to the Golden Hind. According to the selvsame book Pagets first idea was putting the Golden Hind on the halfcrown. A trial strike though was rejected by the committee who recommanded the design for the halfpenny instead. Personaly I think a sailing ship serves well on a minor copper, having in mind that many of the 18th century condor tokens displayed navel motives. Could that possibly been a thought the committee had aswell ?
Grüsse, Mynter

villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 10.08.15 08:06

Thanks, KAM, for the link. I very happily spent a considerable portion of my Saturday with the Uruguayan coin series of '53 and '60 (turns out the portrait is Humphrey's work too). And then I moved on to Iceland--there were a couple of interesting anecdotes on the RM website about that country and its RM-connections too. Learned several fun things I had not known, so again, thanks much.

And thanks, as always, Mynter--I hadn't known about the usefulness of the 3d in public transport and how that would have been one of the reasons for its immediate popularity in London. That'll be in my notebook by tomorrow night I'll bet. (The brass 3d was one of those coins I envied the British for--it was a coin I always wanted to use myself. Just seemed like it'd be a lot of fun handling, like the American nickel, but better.)

I do agree about the sailing ship being a good fit with copper. Particularly this one. Stylized as it is, I'm not sure it would have done so well on a big silver coin.

(But it's too late to start yakking now...)

Thanks guys.

:D v.

Antworten
  • Vergleichbare Themen
    Antworten
    Zugriffe
    Letzter Beitrag