Mardi Gras doubloons

Diskussionen rund um Medaillen, Medailleure, Jetons, Rechenpfennige

Moderator: Lutz12

Antworten
villa66
Danksagung erhalten: 6 Mal

Mardi Gras doubloons

Beitrag von villa66 » Mi 09.03.11 08:04

Mardi Gras (“Fat Tuesday”) is finished until next year. The streets in New Orleans will be saying goodbye to the carnival-goers, and hello to the street-sweepers.

“Throws” are a Mardi Gras tradition. Strings of beads are a special favorite, of course, but “doubloons” have also been a long-time staple of the parades. There are examples of Mardi Gras medallions that date from the 19th century, but the present-day aluminum version got its start about 1960. (It first had to be shown that they could be tossed around without injuring people!)

By the time the 1970 “doubloon” pictured below was struck (and perhaps thrown from a Mardi Gras parade float), these big—the 39mm diameter of this piece is a common size—aluminum medallions had become very popular, and very numerous.

:) v.
Dateianhänge
100_2831.JPG
100_2833.JPG

Lutz12
Danksagung erhalten: 49 Mal

Re: Mardi Gras doubloons

Beitrag von Lutz12 » Mi 09.03.11 23:20

Mardi-Gras Token sind ein preiswertes Sammelgebiet, für Karneval-Fans auch eine unglaubliche Motiv-Fundgrube. In Deutschland wohl nicht so bekannt, wenn auch hin und wieder Stücke auf online-Auktionen angeboten werden. Ich weiß nicht, ob es eine Übersicht über diese Token gibt, ich schätze es existieren an (neuzeitliche) Token wohl einige tausend Typen.
Gruß Lutz
"Wenn Sie glauben, mich verstanden zu haben, dann habe ich mich falsch ausgedrückt" ( Alan Greenspan)

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Fr 11.03.11 06:31

The series is indeed very extensive, and confusing. (A quick Internet search popped up three additional ship-reverses for this obverse.) Usually I put these coins in with the culls and scatter them in parks and playgrounds for the kids, but I just happened to have gotten this one a couple of days before Mardi Gras. The artwork--of the ship especially--seemed superior to many of these that I have seen. Won't save it from the park, though.

Numis-Student
Danksagung erhalten: 3647 Mal

Beitrag von Numis-Student » Fr 11.03.11 08:53

villa66 hat geschrieben: Usually I put these coins in with the culls and scatter them in parks and playgrounds for the kids...
In der Regel ich habe diese Münzen in mit die Keulungen und streuen Sie in Parks und Spielplätze für die Kinder :?: :?: :?: Online-Übersetzer sind schon etwas feines :-D

Im Ernst, den ersten Teil des Satzes verstehe ich nicht so ganz.

Villa,
if you are interested, could you send some of these Token to me (for my collection and for "Institut für Numismatik und Geldgeschichte, Universität Wien") ? I can send you some coins or Token from Europe, too.
MR

Please, if there are any mistakes, say it to me :-) That is the only way to learn...
Immerhin ist es vorstellbar, dass wir vielleicht genug Verstand besitzen, um,
wenn nicht ganz vom Kriegführen abzulassen, uns wenigstens so vernünftig zu benehmen wie unsere Vorfahren im achtzehnten Jahrhundert. (A.H. 1949)

sigistenz
Danksagung erhalten: 40 Mal

Beitrag von sigistenz » Fr 11.03.11 14:41

Er streut diese Tokens aus, mit anderen wertlosen Münzen.
:)

-

Numis-Student
Danksagung erhalten: 3647 Mal

Beitrag von Numis-Student » Fr 11.03.11 22:23

ah, ok, danke :-) the culls sind dann die anderen wertlosen Münzen ?
Schöne Grüße,
MR
Immerhin ist es vorstellbar, dass wir vielleicht genug Verstand besitzen, um,
wenn nicht ganz vom Kriegführen abzulassen, uns wenigstens so vernünftig zu benehmen wie unsere Vorfahren im achtzehnten Jahrhundert. (A.H. 1949)

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Sa 12.03.11 08:06

Numis-Student hat geschrieben:...the culls sind dann die anderen wertlosen Münzen ?
Ja, the scratched, stained, nicked, holed...

I currently have only the one Mardi Gras token, the one posted here in this thread. I'd be very happy to send it to you, Numis-Student--just PM me with an address and I'll put it in the mail. (The idea of its being appreciated appeals to me.)

Just let me know...

:D v.

pingu
Danksagung erhalten: 190 Mal

Beitrag von pingu » Sa 12.03.11 08:51

Hallo,

ich habe mal ein paar Stücke herausgekramt und zeige euch die Scan's einer Seite. Mit Sicherheit ein preiswertes und spannendes Sammelgebiet, das aber durch das mangelnde Angebot in Europa stark behindert wird.
Grüße
pingu
Dateianhänge
9.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
Wer sein Geld mit Konsum verschwendet, wird die wahren Freuden eines Numismatikers nie kennenlernen....

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mo 14.03.11 21:31

Thanks for the look at more of these, pingu. The impression I get of these pieces and the stories behind them is that of an incredibly byzantine mix of current and cross-current. The ins and outs of Mardi Gras, of its participants and the various activities, make it seem like this specialty could take about as much hobby-time as a person had.

I don't know how much published literature there is for Mardi Gras tokens, or of what vintage, but that could be a problem for collectors.

Another problem seems to be availability, even in the U.S. Perhaps because they are still new enough for almost all of them to be in the possession of their original owners--in a general demographic sense, anyway--and because they were perhaps souvenirs gotten during some pleasant (and especially memorable) personal event, their original owners have not yet consented to part with them.

Or it could be as simple as price; since their value is low and is likely to remain so, there has been no economic incentive to pull them out of hiding.

At any rate, at least until the mortality tables do their inevitable work, Mardi Gras tokens seem much tougher to find than they should be, given the great numbers manufactured.

Again, thanks for showing us some more of these.

sigistenz
Danksagung erhalten: 40 Mal

Beitrag von sigistenz » Di 15.03.11 17:49

Hi villa66, I like your idea of scattering coins in parks and playgrounds, a bit like sowing .... future coin collectors.
I feel stimulated to do the same. Thank you for the incitement, Sigi :fadein:

-

villa66

Beitrag von villa66 » Mi 16.03.11 02:30

:wink: v.

Antworten